"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, October 13, 2011

I am NOT the 99%

I am not the 99%, nor am I the 1%.  I am an individual with my own ideas and beliefs, do not try to put me in a category without my approval.  I do not agree with either of you.
That was my FaceBook status a few days ago, and I still stand by that comment.
The so called 99% are in reality probably closer to about 5%, because the other 94% just plain don't give a fuck.  There are a whole lot of people in this country that just don't care- they're uninformed people that would rather talk about sports than politics and don't care what is going on as long as it doesn't interfere with their lives.  And, by 'interfere with their lives', I mean that it doesn't preempt whatever sporting event or media coverage of celebrities they want to watch on TV.  I know that by calling themselves the 99% they are saying that they are speaking for the 'rest' of America, but I can speak for myself.  I believe that I am intelligent and informed enough that I don't need a bunch of kids speaking for me.  I certainly don't need labor unions and celebrities, the likes of which have been showing up at Wall Street protests, to speak for me.  I have worked hard my whole life.  I have never taken government handouts.  The problem with the 99%'ers is that they don't seem to understand that the things that they are asking for will only lead to bigger government.  That's exactly what we don't need.
As a Libertarian, I believe in minimum government, maximum personal freedom and personal responsibility.  That's right, PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.  I saw a Wall Street protestor complaining that she had only been in college for a year and she was already in debt- what the fuck?  That's what happens when you go to college- you have to pay for it.  You are paying for a higher education in the hopes of making something better of yourself and having more opportunities later in  life.  You don't wanna pay for college, don't fuckin' go to college, but don't expect or ask the American people (the ones that work for a living in an attempt to support their families) to pay for your college education.  I take personal responsibility for where I am in this life.  I live within my means- I know how much I make and I don't make purchases that I simply can't afford.  I am a small business owner, and will freely admit that over the years I have made some bad business decisions that have either kept me from getting ahead or have cost me money.  I don't blame anyone but myself for those decisions, and consider them a learning experience.  I am by no means rich- I would probably fall in the category of 'lower middle class'.  I'm OK with that- my bills are paid and my family is fed and clothed.  Would I like to make more?  Sure I would.  Do I expect the American people to give me more?  Hell no.  Do I expect the government to give me more?  Double hell no!  I don't even like our government.  I agree with the protestors that the majority of people in the government are liars and thieves, but I sure as hell don't want more government.
A vast majority of the American people are living under the assumption that they are 'victims' and need the wrongs that were done to them righted.  I am not a victim.  People need to stop thinking of themselves as victims and realize that they are individuals that can work to change their situation rather than thinking of themselves as being entitled to things that they have not earned.  One thing that I believe they are NOT entitled to is what I HAVE EARNED.  I worked for it- it's mine, and I'm pretty damn tired of the government taking what I have earned and giving it to people that have not worked for it.
I still believe that America is the land of opportunity, that you can make something of yourself if you try.   The problem is that a lot of people don't want to put the effort into making something of themselves, they want it to be handed to them.  People need to stop asking for more and start asking themselves what they themselves can do to get more.  The problem with that is that it involves hard work, which many Americans are averse to.

No comments:

Post a Comment